Connect with us

Crime and Courts

AI Image Scandal Rocks Wicknell Chivayo as Ex-In-Laws Arrested

Published

on

Tabitha Madzikanda, the former mother-in-law of businessman Wicknell Chivayo, has been arrested, according to her lawyer Rungano Mahuni.

Her daughter, Sonja Madzikanda, Chivayo’s ex-wife, reportedly spent a night in police custody and is expected to appear in court alongside her mother on Wednesday.

The lawyer said the exact charges have not yet been fully clarified, but indicated that police have mentioned allegations including unauthorised dissemination of information and actions seen as undermining the authority of the President.

He added that they are awaiting formal charge details.

However, police sources claim Tabitha Madzikanda, an FBC Bank executive, is also facing fraud-related accusations.

She is alleged to have attempted to access about US$1.4 million from a children’s trust linked to Chivayo, allegedly intending to use the funds for land acquisition and construction of cluster homes.

Investigators further allege she tried to remove Chivayo as a signatory to the account in order to facilitate the withdrawal.

In a separate complaint, Chivayo reportedly told authorities that Sonja breached a High Court order regulating access to their two minor children, which could result in contempt of court proceedings.

He is also said to have accused Tabitha of using artificial intelligence tools to alter images in a way that falsely suggested he had met South African President Cyril Ramaphosa earlier than their actual meeting during the president’s recent visit to Zimbabwe.

An image circulating online, allegedly showing Chivayo and Ramaphosa, has been described by Chivayo as fake and digitally manipulated, with claims that it was intended to damage the South African president’s reputation and Chivayo’s business interests.

South African presidential spokesperson Vincent Magwenya previously stated that Ramaphosa had no prior knowledge of Chivayo before their encounter in Zimbabwe.

Police are reportedly analysing Tabitha Madzikanda’s phone to determine whether the images were digitally altered.

Chivayo has not publicly commented on the arrests.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime and Courts

Police Officer Who Declared Himself ZRP Boss Found Not Guilty Due to Mental Illness

Published

on

Simbarashe Mandizvidza

Simbarashe Mandizvidza, a member of the Zimbabwe Republic Police who last year declared himself the country’s new Police Commissioner-General on social media, has been acquitted after the court ruled that he was mentally unfit at the time of the offences.

The 35-year-old officer had been facing charges of allegedly inciting disaffection within the police and defence forces, unlawfully obtaining the use of a police vehicle, and circulating false information intended to cause harm.

Mandizvidza was attached to the Salaries Services Bureau Liaison Office at Police General Headquarters.

Delivering judgment, Harare provincial magistrate Artwell Sanyatwe said medical assessments carried out by two doctors concluded that the accused was suffering from a mental disorder when the incidents occurred.

The court ordered that Mandizvidza be returned to the psychiatric unit at Chikurubi Maximum Prison for continued treatment and monitoring for both his own safety and that of the public.

According to the prosecution, Mandizvidza allegedly recorded a video at Hatfield Police Camp using a Canon 250D camera in which he falsely announced that he had become the new Commissioner-General of Police. In the clip, he reportedly ordered the suspension of traffic police operations and instructed Chinese nationals and business operators to leave Zimbabwe within 48 hours.

The video was later uploaded to a YouTube channel called “Gondo Harishaye,” where it quickly spread online. Prosecutors argued that the statements were capable of causing unrest within the police force, fear among foreign nationals, and damage to the country’s economy.

The court also heard that on the same day, Mandizvidza allegedly approached Chief Inspector Fidios Chiteure at Police General Headquarters and falsely claimed he had authority from Commissioner Makomo to use a police Ford Ranger vehicle.

Believing the explanation, the officer released the vehicle to him. Mandizvidza allegedly drove the vehicle to Waerera Village in Bindura, under Chief Masembura’s area, where it was later recovered.

Prosecutors further alleged that he later released another online video again falsely presenting himself as head of the police service despite Stephen Mutamba being the officially recognised Commissioner-General.

The State argued that the videos violated laws governing the use of communication systems and negatively affected Zimbabwe’s image and economic interests.

Continue Reading

Crime and Courts

Gokwe Man Sentenced 9 Years For Unlawful Possession of ivory

Published

on

A 30-year-old man from Bharabhara village has been sentenced to nine years in prison for unlawful possession of raw, unmarked ivory.

The Gokwe Magistrates’ Court convicted Emmanuel Sinamapanda of Bharabhara village under Chief Semuchembu and imposed the mandatory minimum sentence after finding no special circumstances to justify a lesser penalty.

According to the statement issued by the National Prosecuting Authority of Zimbabwe, offender was sentenced to the mandatory minimum after the court found no special circumstances.

Sinamapanda was arrested on 23 February 2026 at the Sabala river bridge in the Chitekete area during a sting operation. Detectives and Parks and Wildlife officials, acting on a tip-off, posed as potential buyers.

“After a brief negotiation, the offender and an accomplice produced a sack containing the ivory, but they attempted to flee after sensing danger, a chase ensued leading to the apprehension of the offender and the recovery of five pieces of raw ivory.”the NPAZ said.

The recovered ivory weighed a total of 19.83 kilograms, made up of five pieces weighing 4.10kg, 3.08kg, 4.45kg, 4.25kg, and 3.95kg respectively. The ivory was valued at US$3,366.00.

The NPAZ said poaching and illegal wildlife trade are serious offences and warned that offenders will face stiff penalties.

“Poaching and illegal wildlife trade are serious offences, and the NPAZ warns that offenders will face stiff penalties. The public is urged to report any suspected poaching to authorities.” the authority said.

Continue Reading

Crime and Courts

Magaya Challenges Rape Charges, Accuses Prosecutors of Tampering With Evidence

Published

on

LIVE COURT UPDATE: Prophet Magaya back in court

Walter Magaya, the founder of PHD Ministries, has approached the Constitutional Court seeking to stop his ongoing rape trial, claiming the prosecution is relying on manipulated evidence.

His lawyers told the court that investigators and prosecutors allegedly tampered with a witness statement in an attempt to strengthen the case against him.

The defence also argued that the state no longer has enough evidence to continue with the matter, particularly after one of the complainants is said to have withdrawn support for the prosecution.

Presiding magistrate Francis Mapfumo is expected to deliver a ruling on the application on May 29.

Continue Reading

Trending