Current Affairs
Bulawayo Council Defends Decision to Pause ZACC Integrity Pledge Signing
Bulawayo Mayor David Coltart has explained why councillors chose not to immediately sign the Integrity Pledges presented by the Zimbabwe Anti-Corruption Commission (ZACC), saying the move was based on the need for proper understanding and consultation.
The pledges were meant to be signed by leadership from the City of Bulawayo, Gwanda Municipality and Plumtree Town Council, including mayors, chairpersons, councillors, town clerks and senior officials.
However, when the documents were presented to Bulawayo councillors, they declined to sign them on the spot. Instead, they requested that a workshop be held first so they could fully understand what the pledge involved. The councillors then met privately to discuss the matter further.
Speaking after a caucus meeting held on Monday, Mayor Coltart said councillors were taken by surprise. He explained that the invitation to ZACC had been sent by City Management and only reached him late last week.
He said City Management only received confirmation from ZACC on Thursday, and he himself was informed on Friday.
According to Coltart, the original request was for training aimed at management and the council’s ethics committee, not for the immediate signing of any legal or binding document.
He stressed that neither he nor the councillors had enough time to read and assess the pledge before being asked to sign it.
“As lawyers often say, you must be careful about what you sign,” Coltart explained. “Councillors do not want to put their signatures on something they have not had time to read carefully and understand in a calm environment.”
He added that councillors also want to complete training by their own ethics committee first. That training is expected to run until Wednesday, after which councillors will sit down and discuss what was covered and what the pledge truly means.
Coltart made it clear that the delay should not be seen as resistance to ethical leadership or anti-corruption efforts.
He said the council remains fully committed to ethical governance and supports ZACC’s work.
To explain their caution, Coltart compared rushing to sign the pledge to entering a marriage without understanding the responsibilities involved, saying such an approach would be careless and superficial.
Current Affairs
Vendors 4ED leader rallies informal sector behind Amendment No. 3, unveils youth mall plan
Vendors for Economic Development (Vendors 4ED) national chairperson Cde Samora Chisvo has thrown the weight of the informal sector behind the proposed Constitutional Amendment Number 3 Bill, arguing that constitutional reforms are essential to fully integrate millions of vendors into the formal economy and ensure they benefit from the government’s Vision 2030 agenda.
Speaking ahead of the National Youth Day commemorations, Cde Chisvo emphasized that the amendment, which seeks to extend the term of President Emmerson Mnangagwa to 2030, is a necessary lever for policy continuity.
He claimed this stability is critical for informal traders to transition from the margins of the economy into mainstream players capable of contributing to the National Development Strategy 2 (NDS2).
“We cannot talk about an upper-middle-income economy by 2030 while leaving behind the millions who drive the informal sector. Constitutional Amendment Number 3 is not just about politics; it is about ensuring that the developmental trajectory we are on under President Mnangagwa remains uninterrupted so that vendors can finally be incorporated as key beneficiaries of NDS2,” Cde Chisvo said.
He argued that the formal economy has traditionally overlooked the vending community, and that extending the current administration’s tenure would guarantee the implementation of long-term programs designed to capacitate informal traders.
“We want to thank His Excellency, President Emmerson Dambudzo Mnangagwa for the Presidential Empowerment Schemes. We now need the constitutional backing to ensure these schemes outlive electoral cycles and become permanent pillars of our economy,” he added.

In a robust defense of the informal sector’s role in national development, he added, “President Emmerson Mnangagwa also supports vendors. We are the engine of this economy, and we demand a seat at the table.”
In line with the National Youth Day celebrations, Cde Chisvo announced an ambitious plan to establish youth vendor malls across all provinces by the end of the year.
The initiative aims to decongest city streets while providing young traders with dignified, formalized trading spaces equipped with infrastructure that supports value addition.
“We are pushing for youth vendor malls to be established countrywide by end of year. The youth are tired of running from council police; they want spaces where they can operate like real businesspeople.
These malls will be the launchpads for young vendors to become industrialists under NDS2,” he said.
The proposed malls are expected to include storage facilities, sanitation, and access to financial services, aligning with the Second Republic’s mantra of “leaving no one and no place behind.”
Under Cde Chisvo’s leadership, Vendors 4ED has overseen the registration of over 150,000 informal traders nationwide, providing them with identification documents that facilitate access to microfinance facilities.
His tenure has also seen the establishment of bulk-buying schemes that allow vendors to procure goods directly from manufacturers, cutting out intermediaries and increasing profit margins. Additionally, his leadership has successfully lobbied for the suspension of vending license fees in several local authorities during the COVID-19 pandemic, preserving livelihoods for thousands of informal traders.
He said the establishment of youth vendor malls represents the culmination of these efforts to formalize the sector and align it with Vision 2030 objectives.
Current Affairs
Biannual HIV Vaccine Begins
Zimbabwe has officially rolled out its latest HIV prevention tool, with Health and Child Care Minister Dr. Douglas Mombeshora launching the first phase of the national programme for Lenacapavir, a long-acting injectable Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis that provides six months of protection per dose.
Launching the programme, Dr. Mombeshora said that the introduction of the new drug does not replace existing HIV prevention options but rather serves to complement them.
He encouraged the public to seek accurate information from trained health professionals regarding the new method.
The rollout positions Zimbabwe among the first countries globally to introduce the next-generation prevention method, with the initial phase targeting more than 46 000 individuals at high risk.
Priority groups include adolescent girls, young women, sex workers, men who have sex with men, and pregnant or breastfeeding women in areas with elevated infection rates.
Health officials have established 24 sites across priority urban centres including Harare, Bulawayo, Gweru, Masvingo, Mutare and Chitungwiza, with plans to expand to additional districts.
Nearly 400 health workers have already received specialised training to administer the injection and manage recipients.
Lenacapavir is a capsid inhibitor that blocks the protein shell the HIV virus needs to replicate, offering long-lasting protection without the need for daily pills. Clinical trials demonstrated significant efficacy, with zero infections recorded among women who received the drug in the PURPOSE 1 trial, and a 96 percent reduction compared to background incidence among men and transgender people in the PURPOSE 2 trial.
The first consignment of the drug arrived in the country two weeks ago and was cleared by the Medicines Control Authority of Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe was selected in August 2025 as one of ten countries for a global early access programme, reflecting international confidence in the country’s HIV response systems.
The initiation regimen requires two injections and oral tablets on day one, with follow-up injections administered every six months.
Health authorities have stressed that PrEP is strictly for individuals who test HIV negative and is neither a vaccine nor a cure.
Dr. Mombeshora reiterated that the new option does not replace individual responsibility in making informed decisions to protect oneself and others.
Current Affairs
‘Govt Slams ‘Malicious’ Chiefs’ Fee Scam
THE Ministry of Local Government and Public Works has moved urgently to dismiss what it describes as “false, malicious, and fraudulent” reports circulating that headmen and village heads are being forced to pay money to the Ministry’s Headquarters.
In a strongly worded statement issued today, Minister of Local Government and Public Works, Hon.Daniel Garwe (MP), moved to kill the scam, making it clear that no traditional leader is required to pay a single cent to the government.
“The Ministry wishes to state that no Chief, Headman, or Village Head is required or instructed to make any form of payment to the Ministry.
“The Ministry operates strictly within the provisions of the Constitution of Zimbabwe, the Traditional Leaders Act, and all applicable public finance management laws.
“Any legitimate levies, allowances, or administrative processes involving traditional leaders are processed through lawful and established Government systems, and not through informal or personal channels,” said Hon. Garwe.
The Ministry’s intervention comes amid fears that fraudsters are preying on traditional leaders, who are constitutionally recognised as vital partners in governance and community development.
Members of the public and traditional leaders who encounter such demands have been urged to take immediate action.
“The Ministry advises members of the public and traditional leaders to report any such alleged cases to the Zimbabwe Republic Police or directly to the Ministry.
“The Ministry will not hesitate to act against any individuals or entities who are engaging in such misdemeanours,” he said.
The Government reaffirmed its commitment to respecting the status, welfare, and constitutional mandate of traditional leaders, who play a key role in peace-building and grassroots development.
-
Current Affairs3 months agoOperation restore order
-
Crime and Courts5 months agoMasasi High School Abuse Scandal Sparks Public Outcry
-
Crime and Courts5 months agoKuwadzana Man Jailed for Reckless Driving and Driving Without a Licence
-
Current Affairs7 months agoBreaking: ZIMSEC June 2025 Exam Results Now Available Online
-
Current Affairs6 months agoMunhumutapa Day: Zimbabwe’s Newest Public Holiday Set for Annual Observance
-
Current Affairs4 months agoBREAKING NEWS: ZANU PF Director General Ezekiel Zabanyana Fired
-
Current Affairs6 months agoNo Racism in Our Cricket: Government
-
Current Affairs6 months agoGovernment Bans Tinted Car Windows in Nationwide Crime Crackdown
